25 Jun Back Injuries: Time to See a Physical Therapist?
Back injuries are a common occurrence. From heavy lifting to sitting in the same position for too long to sleeping in an awkward position, many factors contribute to back related injuries. Sometimes, taking it easy and relaxing for a few days is exactly what you need when back injuries arise. Yet, other times you need professional help to fix what has been damaged and prevent further, more permanent damage. So how do you know when to seek out medical help? We have a few tips for you.
Seek out medical attention if any of the following occurs:
-The pain gets worse over time.
– Numbness, weakness, or radiating pain down arms or legs occurs.
– Inability to stand or walk comfortably occurs.
– The condition begins to affect your daily activity or sleep.
– Symptoms do not go away with rest and home treatment.
Immediately get emergency medical attention if the following occurs:
– Loss of muscular control.
– Loss of bowel or bladder function.
– History of cancer or disease combined with the above symptoms.
– Recent significant trauma.
How Physical Therapy can help:
– The Physical Therapist can determine the cause of your pain and if a passive or active physical therapy treatment is necessary for your specific injury and pain.
– Physical therapy includes posture training and strengthening of the back muscles, which will help treat and prevent the pain.
– Therapy will include movement training and education to help prevent repeating the same injury.
If you have questions or concerns regarding back injuries or pain, please contact Cory Lee at 662-282-4949.