20 Jan The Secrets to Keeping Your New Year’s Resolutions
I want to lose twenty pounds. I want to eat healthier. I want to get to the gym six days a week.
Admit it. You had made New Year’s resolutions, and by Valentine’s Day you have already given up on them. Don’t be ashamed. We all fall into the New Year’s resolution trap.
Thankfully we all have a New Year and a new start to achieve those goals. But how can we actually stick to them this year? Lucky for you, we have a few tips and tricks to help you keep your New Year’s goals this time around.
- Make it an attainable goal: Unrealistic goals are the main source of New Year’s resolution failure. Be specific with what you want to achieve, but don’t be outrageous. Instead of trying to get to the gym six times a week, make your goal three times a week. You can always increase it later in the year. Start small and work your way up if need be.
- Write it down: Jot down your goals and keep them in a place you view frequently (like the fridge). If you see it everyday, multiple times a day, it will be fixed in your subconscious.
- Be prepared to change: Whether you are wanting to eat healthier or lose weight, you are going to have to make some changes to your routine.
- Plan ahead: Detail your goals, and make plans for the future. Write these down, too. Even if you waited until New Year’s Eve to decide your resolutions, take time to map out what you want to get from them in the future. Having a road to take will make the process easier, meaning you will stay on track.
- Track your progress: If you are wanting to lose weight or get toned, take pictures at the beginning before you start your resolutions. Then each week take a new photo in the same clothes. Although you will eventually see a different, you definitely won’t in one week. Just saying. Give it some time, then go back, look at the tall pile of photos and be amazed. If you are planning to eat healthier, write down your meals for the week or take pictures. As time passes, you will see yourself eating healthier.
- Reward yourself: Did you have an especially good day? Is it Tuesday? Reward yourself. Every week take a day to give yourself something special. Whether it be a piece of chocolate (go with the dark stuff) or a break from the gym, everyone deserves a reward.
- Forgive yourself: We are all human. We are going to fall and make mistakes. But it is important to forgive ourselves for those mistakes. So you ate a massive cheeseburger with fries and a huge chocolate shake, well that isn’t good, but jump back on the band wagon the next day. Don’t let one (or two or three) mistakes derail you from your aspirations. You can do this!
If getting to the gym more is one of your resolutions, then check out our new facilities! We have Pro Fitness, a new 24 hour gym and a CrossFit box. Everyone is welcome. If you have any questions or concerns, or if you just want to talk about getting fit, call us at 662-282-4949.
By Cory Lee